Friday, June 8, 2012

Fabric Covered Flower Pot

So my friend Courtney moved back home from Oklahoma about a week ago and moved into an apartment. It is super cute inside but the outside needs some work, well I'm sure she wouldn't mind if she got new neighbors but I am going to do what I can to help it look welcoming! So I decided everyone could use happy flowers and I couldn't find any ceramic pots that I totally loved so I made my own.
Then my mom loved the one I made Courtney so much that I decided to make her one for her anniversary, 29 years, almost unheard of now a days huh! She loves birds so I brought back the same fabric that I made my diaper and wipe clutch with and she loved it!

First off I did get my idea from Pintrest, where else?!?! off of the small garden, so I definitely can't take all the credit but I will give some helpful hints on how I did it for any of you that would like to try it! It is super simple and I think very thoughtful for a gift, people can only get so much wine right, I can't believe I just said that haha oh how having a baby has changed me!




What you need:
I bought a terra cotta pot from Hobby Lobby for $3.
The fabric I got from Joanns and I bought 1/4 yard, I could probably make two of them so the fabric goes a long way, just make sure it wraps all the way around the pot.
Mod Podge, which I made myself off of this website, very easy!
Spray paint, Color for the bottom and a clear outdoor sealant.
Foam brush
Flowers, I choose a Red Dahlia and a pink Gerber Daisy
Potting soil

Step 1: I spray painted the water catcher for the bottom of the pot, technical terms I know, with red spray paint that is indoor and outdoor so it won't wear.

Step 2: Cut the fabric so it will go all the way around the pot, there will be extra on the top and the bottom but you will trim it once you apply it all.

Step 3: Apply mod podge on the actual pot in small sections and smooth the fabric out with a foam brush. Make sure and smooth out all the wrinkles.

Step 4: Once I got the fabric applied to the pot I applied a layer of modge podge to help seal it, especially around the edges of the fabric if you had any patch work like I did.

Step 5: Cut off where you want the top of the fabric to end, I wanted it just inside the top of the pot, my edge is not straight by any means but it works and then I finished the edge off with more mod podge.

Step 6: Let it dry.

Step 7:  Cut off all the extra fabric at the bottom of the pot and mod podge the edges. Let dry.

Step 8: Seal the pot with the clear indoor/outdoor spray and let dry.

Step 9: Pot your flower and water it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment